|Pastry flour||1 ½ lb. 7 ½ cups|
|Salt||½ oz. 1 Tbsp|
|Shortening||8oz. 1 cups|
|Butter||8oz. 1 cups|
|Ice-cold water||8oz. 1 cups|
1. Combine flour and salt together.
2. For flaky pie dough break shortening / butter into flour to form large nuggets. For mealy pie dough work the fat into the flour to resemble crumb topping.
3. Add cold liquid to flour mixture; mix just enough to form dough. The mixture should have the consistency of grated parmesan cheese.
4. Use 10 oz. of dough for each 10-inch pan.
5. Chill one hour before rolling
6. Line pans and chill 30 minutes after trimming
7. Lined shells can stay in the fridge, un baked two days or freeze one month
8. Pre baked tart shells can stay at room temperature two days but not more than 3 days or in the freezer for up to two weeks.
9. To bake you will want to Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and use pie weights one you have lined the shells for baking. You can improvise pie weights by using non waxed baking paper to line the inside of the pastry shells and then put in a few coffee or other kind of beans.
10. Bake for 10 minutes with the pie weights until golden.
It is important to keep all ingredients chilled. And it is also important to let the dough rest, dough likes to rest, just like the rest of us. You will want to bake the pie shells before you add in the filling.